When is the last time you had your teeth checked or cleaned by your dentist? Regular visits to your dentist not only give you a bright smile but have a considerable effect on your general health.
It is recommended that you see your dentist twice a year for routine dental screenings and professional cleanings. By seeing your dentist regularly, your dentist will track changes in your mouth, the condition of teeth and gums and educate you on the best strategies for your oral health.
Comprehensive Dental Screenings Include Several Procedures:
- Diagnostic X-Rays and Evaluation: Dr. Reza and his staff will take images of your mouth and teeth using a digital x-ray machine. The x-ray images will help us detect tooth decay, cavities, cysts, tumors, and bone loss.
- Oral Cancer Examination: Dr. Reza and his staff will examine your teeth, tongue, lips, neck, face, and gums looking for symptoms of oral cancer. There are several factors that increase your risk of getting oral cancer. These include tobacco use, alcohol consumption, and previous history of oral cancer.
- Inspect for Tooth Decay: Dr. Reza and his staff will examine the surface of your teeth for signs of decay.
- Inspect for Gum Disease: Reza will inspect your gums and bone surrounding your teeth looking for signs of periodontal disease.
- Inspection of Any Dental Restorations: Reza and staff will examine your tooth fillings, crowns, bridges, partials, or dentures and adjust or recommend replacement if necessary.
Benefits of Biannual Teeth Cleanings and Dental Screenings:
- Can Help Prevent Heart Attacks and Strokes: Cardiovascular disease has been linked to gum disease. Biannual cleaning of your teeth prevents gum disease and lowers your chances of having a heart attack or stroke.
- Cavity Prevention: Plaque is a whitish film that builds upon the surface of your teeth no matter how well you take care of your dental care at home. It destroys the enamel on the surface of your teeth and can lead to cavities. Your dentist removes plaque during routine cleaning.
- Calculus Removal: Calculus, also known as tartar, is a hardened plaque that has remained on the tooth for some time. It is now firm and attached to the surface of the teeth and you cannot remove it by brushing. Most of the time you will find calculus above and below the line of the gum, and your dentist can only strip it off using special tools and instruments such as an ultrasonic scaler.
- Prevention of Gum Disease: Gum disease starts with a plaque build-up and is the main cause of tooth loss. As gum disease progresses, plaque moves down the tooth and attacks the bone that supports your teeth causing your teeth to fall out.
- Prevention of Bad Breath: Research shows that 85 percent of people with bad breath (halitosis) have a dental problem associated with it. Biannual cleaning is the best way to ensure that you keep good oral hygiene preventing foul breath.
- Tooth Stain Removal: Stains from drinking coffee, tea, wine, or soda and tobacco use discolor and stain your teeth. Professional cleaning procedures will give you a brighter, whiter smile and give you more confidence.
- Saves Money: If you have dental insurance, your plan usually pays for a dental cleaning and examination every six months. By seeing Dr. Reza twice a year you can minimize the need for additional procedures like fillings and root canals saving you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.
It is important to visit Dr. Matthew and his staff twice a year so they can track the changes in your mouth, the condition of your teeth and gums and to keep good oral hygiene. Regular visits lead have increased health benefits as well as saving you money. You only have one set of teeth, let Dr. Reza and his staff help you keep them healthy, bright and pain free.